The Australian gambling industry is highly developed and diverse. Over 80% of the entire adult population of this green continent is engaged actively in casino activities of various formats. Average annual spending amounts to about A$1,200 per gambler.
Australia is home to 6% of the world’s standard gambling machines and 18% of poker machines. Residents and guests of the continent satisfy their passion y in land-based gambling houses, as well as in the virtual world with its specific policies. Australia’s online gambling establishments provide a consistently high level of customer service, offer players a thrilling range of video pokies, round-the-clock technical maintenance and assistance, a flexible balance management system, total confidentiality of personal data, and safety of funds.
Gambling legislation in Australia
The rapid technological development has triggered the foundation of online casinos in Australia and the rise in mobile gambling popularity.
Despite the stabile development and gambling popularity, the country’s gambling legislation is rather complicated. This is attributable to the political structure of the state. The Commonwealth of Australia is a federal nation made up of 6 states and 2 territories. That is the Commonwealth that oversees the gambling industry as a whole, but most of the regulation activities are conducted within the states and territories.
The Interactive Gambling Act (IGA) was passed on June 28, 2001. It is the predominant law in the country and clearly stipulates that Australian gambling companies are banned from offering online services to the continent residents. The law also prohibits online casinos to promote online gaming services for hard currency.
The IGA resolution focuses exclusively on companies that operate in Australia illegally and does not prohibit local citizens from accessing the services of virtual casinos, gambling establishments. This means that online betting is completely legal within the country.
Australian tax legislation and gambling
Since 2001, Aussie players’ winnings have been exempted from taxation. This phenomenon is explained by the following factors:
- gambling is considered to be entertainment and hobby, not a professional activity;
- any cash prize is treated as accidental luck;
- fees are charged only to service providers.
The type and amount of deductions depend on the state that issued the license. Fees are charged differently for different gambling services.
Basic taxes imposed on gambling business:
- turnover tax – it is withheld from the founders of lotteries and sports bets;
- fee for license issuing – it is paid all operators who have bought permission to distribute Internet services;
- levy on player loss – it is a mandatory payment for all types of gambling platforms (bookmaking, sweepstakes, land-based and virtual casinos, machine halls, etc.);
- consumption tax and net profit tax are applicable for poker rooms and totalisators.
Tax revenues from virtual platform operators top up the state treasury by 15% annually.
Australian casino rules and regulations
Online casinos in Australia have their own rule and policies. During the registration procedure, all gamblers should confirm their agreement with them, thus, concluding an open offer agreement for the services of a gaming club. The casino regulations describe in detail the actions to be taken by players and operators in a disputable situation. The full text can be found on the home page of each virtual gambling establishment.
Under Australian law, gambling is not permitted for persons under the age of 18.
Games subject to licensing
The online gambling industry in Australia operates under the Casino Control Act 2006 and strictly complies with the rules that regulate legal gambling.
The following categories are approved by the laws of the states of Australia:
- Pokies. This is how Aussie players call slot machines. Being the largest entertainment group, the system includes several hundred different reel slots: classic machines with three reels and a minimum of symbols, as well as modern machines with five reels and special symbols, and bonus games.
- Progressive slots. The dedicated machines have a jackpot that gradually increases with the game progressing.
- Roulette. It is a very popular game. Each gambling establishment offers several variations of roulette: European, American, and French. Software manufacturers regularly release new products.
- Card games. This category includes varieties of poker, blackjack, baccarat, and many other games. Poker fans can take part in tournaments.
- Live games. Interactive video pokies offer games with real dealers. A gambler, having connected to the game, can place bets for real money. Communication with the dealer and other players is supported via the live chat window. Today, the live games category includes roulettes, Baccarat, Blackjack varieties, as well as table and card games.
- Dices. This game was allocated a separate category due to a large number of fans and regular customers. It is a game of simple rules that brings maximum pleasure.
- Keno and bingo – there are exciting games where win or loss depends only on chance.
Popular online casinos in Australia offer gamblers two modes of virtual play: for free and for money. Demo mode is available without registration and deposit; it enables players to test any slot machine, as well as to work out a strategy.
All operators providing gambling services are required to have a gambling license. There are eight agencies in Australia that issue permits. The legislation strictness and strict monitoring of iGaming give confidence that fair play and high-quality service are guaranteed in online casinos licensed by Australian commissions.
According to the laws of the Commonwealth of Australia, gambling in casinos is absolutely legal. Many gamblers prefer Internet clubs, which provide maximum opportunities for playing via an electronic gadget only. Today, online casino platforms offer a multi-genre gaming directory and, accordingly, a fairly wide range of opportunities for recreation online. But, before plunging into the world of gambling entertainment, it is recommended that players familiarize themselves with the rules, policies, and permitting documents of an online establishment.